Wednesday, February 24, 2010

When do I get to go home!!??

Well it's more of the same for now... They still think I have an infection in my kidney, but the antibiotics don't seem to be working. My creatinine (which measures my kidney function) went up today, instead of down. Down is better! I still have fever, but I'm hurting a little less (they increased my pain meds). Although I didn't get out of the wheelchair, I made it to the play room today and played XBOX! Tomorrow, I'm gonna try walking and see how that goes. My legs are a little shaky and weak because I've been laying down for a week, so it was hard for me to even stand up on the scale for the nurses to weigh me tonight. The nurse, my mommy, and my daddy started helping me do an exercise called the bicycle. I miss riding my bike! Anyway, the bicycle exercise is where someone puts their hands on my feet while I'm laying in bed and I try to "pedal" their hands. It's supposed to strengthen my legs and get the blood flowing better there so that when I try to walk my legs won't give out.

These pain meds have me feeling kinda weird, but I've been in pretty good spirits today! I've been sitting up, talking a lot more, watching tv, playing with my noise putty, and reading an I spy book. I'm seeing and hearing things that aren't there sometimes, but that should go away once I'm off of the meds.

My appetite still isn't really there. Mommy and daddy seem a little worried. The doctors told me a few days ago that I could only eat certain things in case I have to go on dialysis. That food isn't very good! It tastes like cardboard. I couldn't eat oranges, beans, bananas, or even strawberries because they have a lot of something called potassium, which isn't good for my kidneys. But.... because I haven't really eaten anything except a little bit of watermelon all week, I convinced them to put me back on a regular diet. I didn't hardly eat anything earlier today, but tonight I had a few bites of spaghettios, and (you guessed it!) watermelon. I really need to eat something with a lot of protein, but nothing sounds good. Not even chicken Mcnuggets with ketchup, and that's one of my favorites!!

It looks like I'm gonna be here for a little while. My urologist said that he has to go out of town tomorrow and he'll be back next Tuesday. He said he would see us then. What!!?? I was hoping to go home this weekend! I'm ready to see everybody and thank them for all their prayers! Oh well, I know I'm in good hands and either my mommy and daddy are here all the time.

Well I'm gonna get ready for bed. I love reading your good wishes! I'll talk to you later.

Love,

Lexton

6 comments:

  1. Lexton - I was sick and had to be in the hospital, too, a while ago. You're right - the food is definitely yuckie (at best) and sometimes they want you to do things that aren't fun. It took a while, but I got better, and so will you! Keep doing your best!!

    --Kirby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lexton,
    Those bike exercises sound kinda cool, you will have to show us how to do them in PE next time. I am sorry that the food doesn't taste so good. Try your best to eat so that you will get stronger.I am glad you went to the playroom to play, even if it was video games. Sounds groovy! I will check on you tomorrow. Hang in there kiddo! We miss you terribly.
    Lots of blessings are coming your way,
    Love,
    Mrs. Morton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Lexton!
    Moving around a little, going to the playroom, doing a little exercise! That is great! Keep up the good work! Tell the doctors that you are doing your part, now it is time for them to do their part. I know that they are doing what they can. It is just frustrating that it is taking so long!
    Hopefully you can come to school a little in the next couple of weeks. I am waiting to take our class picture for the yearbook until you get back. The next two weeks we are going to be doing a lot of fun things with Dr. Seuss books.
    I sent a note home with our class telling them how to come to the website and check on you. I noticed that only Tyce left you a message. I know a lot of the students viewed your page. They asked a lot of questions. A couple of them want to come see you in the hospital. What great friends you have! I will talk to your mom about it and let their parents know if it is okay for them to visit you. They might need to wait a little while longer so you can concentrate on getting well.
    Keep working hard! I am going to try to come out and visit you again this weekend.
    Love,
    Ms. Allen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lexton we hope you get feeling better so that you can go to school and play with your friends at school.we also hope you get better so that you can not eat food that tastes like cardboard.KEEP EATING WATERMELON!

    From your friend Tyce and his sister Kaylie Houston

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lexton,
    I'm glad to hear you've been able to get out of that old bed. I bet it felt good. It sounds like you are really fighting this. Keep it up. I'll keep checking on you. Lots of hugs to you.
    Love,
    Mrs. Morrison

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lexton,
    We are sooooo glad you felt like getting out and playing games with that Xbox! That sounds more like the Lexton we know and love. Hope you have felt like playing with the little electronic games we brought when we visited you. We plan to visit you again soon but really hope you get to go home before then. You are the BRAVEST LITTLE MAN we know and a REAL FIGHTER! MUCH TOUGHER than those Rock Em Sock Em Robots you play with! We are constantly praying for your quick recovery from this and join the many others who are praying for you.
    LOVE YOU BUNCHES,
    Grandpa Bill and Beddie

    ReplyDelete